Senior Data Scientist/Statistician
Founded in 2003, Rasmussen Reports is an electronic media company specializing in the collection, publication and distribution of public opinion polling information. Our work is recognized and trusted by millions. We release our survey results daily at RasmussenReports.com, America's most visited public opinion website. We are active on Twitter (247K followers), Facebook (46K friends) and produce a daily email newsletter with over 140K readers. Rasmussen Reports has been the #1 destination in public opinion information search via Google since 2009. Rasmussen Reports generates original public opinion data that is relevant, timely and accurate. We conduct nightly national tracking surveys on political, economic and lifestyle issues. Polls on state elections and other topics are routinely taken.
The polling industry is looking to decrease reliance on data gathering via landlines. Rasmussen Reports is seeking a hands-on, innovative thinker to lead our efforts in this direction. A background in polling is not required for the position. Innovative thinking about the future of polling, along with the quantitative and computational abilities to put your ideas into practice are definite must-haves. We aim to broaden our polling reach over the next years, to introduce a greater amount of data from a wide range of nontraditional polling sources, and to carefully calibrate and evaluate our efforts as we proceed.
- Strong and broad interest in public opinion and politics.
- Confident and well-spoken, interested in nationwide presentation of polling results.
- A scientific and collaborative research orientation with the curiosity and energy to dig for truth in data.
- A desire to discover, learn about, implement and incorporate the latest in polling-related statistical methodologies.
- Strong programming background, including understanding of internet protocols and APIs, security, as well as modern approaches to data storage and retrieval.
- Data science experience: obtaining, cleaning, incorporating, and analyzing high volumes of data from various and diverse sources, and automating these activities.
- Solid statistical background, likely including some mixture of hypothesis testing, sampling techniques, detection and removal of bias, parallel calibration of alternate approaches to estimation, combining data from multiple sources, Bayesian statistics.
- An innovative and modern thinker, fluent with a wide variety of internet, web and mobile technologies and products.
- While formal quantitative or computational education is not a requirement, a masters or Ph.D. in a relevant subject would be a definite advantage.
Rasmussen Reports is located in Asbury Park, NJ. We have flexibility on location for the right candidate.
The position is full-time, with a competitive compensation package that includes equity.
You can apply by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include a cover letter, CV, and the names and contact details of three references.
Rasmussen Reports is a media company specializing in the collection, publication and distribution of public opinion information.
We conduct public opinion polls on a variety of topics to inform our audience on events in the news and other topics of interest. To ensure editorial control and independence, we pay for the polls ourselves and generate revenue through the sale of subscriptions, sponsorships, and advertising. Nightly polling on politics, business and lifestyle topics provides the content to update the Rasmussen Reports web site many times each day. If it's in the news, it's in our polls. Additionally, the data drives a daily update newsletter and various media outlets across the country.
Some information, including the Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll and commentaries are available for free to the general public. Subscriptions are available for $4.95 a month or 34.95 a year that provide subscribers with exclusive access to more than 20 stories per week on upcoming elections, consumer confidence, and issues that affect us all. For those who are really into the numbers, Platinum Members can review demographic crosstabs and a full history of our data.
To learn more about our methodology, click here.