If it's in the News, it's in our Polls. Public opinion polling since 2003.

 

44% See More Government Hiring of Unemployed As Bad, 38% Say Good

Monday, April 09, 2012

The national unemployment rate dipped slightly in March but mostly because more Americans stopped looking for work. A survey conducted prior to the government jobs report shows that roughly a quarter of Americans still support long-term federal support for the chronic unemployed.

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey of American Adults shows that  16% believe the government should hire unemployed people who can’t find work for an extended period of time, while 11% favor extending unemployment benefits indefinitely. This combined 27% support for ongoing federal aid for the unemployed is up slightly from February’s low of 23% but is more similar to previous findings over the past year.

The survey of 1,000 Adults was conducted on April 1-2, 2012 by Rasmussen Reports. The margin of sampling error is +/- 3 percentage points with a 95% level of confidence. Fieldwork for all Rasmussen Reports surveys is conducted by Pulse Opinion Research, LLC. See methodology.

OR

Become a member and get full access to all articles and polls starting at $3.95/month.

Rasmussen Reports is a media company specializing in the collection, publication and distribution of public opinion information.

We conduct public opinion polls on a variety of topics to inform our audience on events in the news and other topics of interest. To ensure editorial control and independence, we pay for the polls ourselves and generate revenue through the sale of subscriptions, sponsorships, and advertising. Nightly polling on politics, business and lifestyle topics provides the content to update the Rasmussen Reports web site many times each day. If it's in the news, it's in our polls. Additionally, the data drives a daily update newsletter and various media outlets across the country.

Some information, including the Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll and commentaries are available for free to the general public. Subscriptions are available for $3.95 a month or 34.95 a year that provide subscribers with exclusive access to more than 20 stories per week on upcoming elections, consumer confidence, and issues that affect us all. For those who are really into the numbers, Platinum Members can review demographic crosstabs and a full history of our data.

To learn more about our methodology, click here.